How to Build a Buddy Class System
Purpose: The buddy classroom system is designed to support students that need to quietly regroup and refocus. This Tier 1 support helps promote relationships with other teachers and builds our common language/common expectations across the building.
- Use as a Tier 1 support for Tier 1 behaviors.
- Provide a safe space for students to take a break.
- Give the student a pass when they leave.
- Check in with the student when they return.
- The student will come to your room with a Buddy Class Pass.
- Repeatedly off task
- Unable to focus on an assignment
- Rushing through work
- Compliantly disruptive
- Negative attitude (attitude check)
- Lack of participation
- Impulsive kinesthetic actions
- Peer disagreement
- Student behavior is displayed. Redirection or assistance is used at least twice.
- The student is asked to go to the buddy classroom.
- The teacher fills out the Buddy Class Pass.
- The student takes the Buddy Class Pass with them to their buddy classroom.
- The student enters the buddy class and proceeds to the assigned spot.
- The student stays there for the time needed (times will vary depending on the need).
- The buddy class teacher will check on the student after about 5 minutes. The student can also let the teacher know when they are done and ready to head back by raising their hand.
- The buddy class teacher signs the Buddy Class Pass.
- The student returns with a signed Buddy Class Pass ready to work and refocused.